沒有國民黨就沒有中國, Without the Kuomintang there would be no China, A Republic of China Story

三十七, Zhurong
No more will China be humiliated by any foreign nation.

-Chiang Kai-shek, announcing the success of the Zhurong Project

Despite immense progress over the decades, China in the 1960s still had a lot of catching up to do if it wanted to be a superpower like the United States or the Soviet Union. One of the biggest disadvantages China had was that it possessed no nuclear weapons. This was a cause of much concern for China. The problem was compounded by the fact that both the US and USSR had (in secret at first) began to develop and test new nuclear weapons in violation of their previous agreements not to. War with the Soviet Union was always a possibility, even if it didn’t seem too likely. And if China went to war with the USSR, China’s major cities could be wiped out. By 1960, Chiang Kai-shek determined that China needed to have nuclear weapons.

Chiang first went to the US with his request for help in developing nuclear weapons. His requests were denied. China had scientists, but none that already had the knowledge necessary to create nuclear weapons. Thus, China’s nuclear program did not get very far. In 1961, this all changed. Several nuclear scientists defected from the Soviet Union to China. They had been recruited by the Juntong, and were lured by the promises of extra pay. Chinese scientists began to study under them. In 1962, the Zhurong Project was started, named after the Chinese god of fire. Throughout its existence, the scientists of the Zhurong project reported not to any military hierarchy, but Chiang Kai-shek himself. The Chinese and Russian scientists soon got to work outside the town of Delingha in Qinghai province.

1651632201726.jpeg

(Zhurong)

China unsurprisingly took great precautions to keep the project a secret. The Soviet Union was very well aware that some of its own scientists had defected. The Soviets were also aware that they had last been seen in either the East Turkestan Republic or Vladivostok. They knew China was doing something, and they even flew spy planes on reconnaissance missions over Xinjiang, where they believed nuclear tests would take place. They were unable to actually find the testing sites, however. Several years of hard work finally paid off, as China detonated its first nuclear weapon in September 1966. Chiang Kai-shek proudly announced to the world that China was now a nuclear power. Proponents of nuclear non-proliferation were disheartened while Chinese nationalists were overjoyed.

Where are the Viet Minh getting the supplies for an insurgency if they have no ports, no airstrips and no hinterland in China?

Last edited:
Where are the Viet Minh getting the supplies for an insurgency if they have no ports, no airstrips and no hinterland in China?
They are doing a lot worse than the OTL Viet Minh, but they have a lot of leftover Soviet supplies from the 1950s, captured French equipment, and equipment from some Vietnamese soldiers who defected. As for sustenance, they live off the land or are given food from sympathizers.

They are doing a lot worse than the OTL Viet Minh, but they have a lot of leftover Soviet supplies from the 1950s, captured French equipment, and equipment from some Vietnamese soldiers who defected. As for sustenance, they live off the land or are given food from sympathizers.
It is possible that they are receiving supplies through Cambodia and Laos even those two countries don't have governments supporting them.

I'm certainly fascinated by how Cambodia in particular will turn out with no real Maoism, and a much less successful Indochinese Communist Party.

This feels like a timeline where Sihanouk is going to be much more successful- I doubt Long Nol will ever come to power.

It is possible that they are receiving supplies through Cambodia and Laos even those two countries don't have governments supporting them.
Yes, Laos especially.
I'm certainly fascinated by how Cambodia in particular will turn out with no real Maoism, and a much less successful Indochinese Communist Party.

This feels like a timeline where Sihanouk is going to be much more successful- I doubt Long Nol will ever come to power.
Compared to the rest of Indochina, Cambodia is not a bad place to be in ITTL. It will definitely get covered, though I don't know when. Laos will get a chapter dedicated to it before the 1960s are over.

I would rather propose asking the French for nuclear assistance, IMHO defecting Soviet scientists are implausible.
France doesn't want to help China at the moment.
I don't know what China's relations with Israel are like here, but the timeline works well for them working together to build nukes...
Israel, on the other hand, would help. China has good relations with Israel and the Chinese Vice President is very pro-Israel.

Chinese culture will be fascinating to see evolve. Maybe Mohism will be rediscoveed and come back as like Neo-Mohism. I imagine Chinese pop culture will be largely insular barring perhaps the US and I can see the two exchanging pop culture elements, especially in cinema and so on. Could also see it with food and some other things.