Somebody a part from america takes the Philippines

What if somebody aside from the Americans decides that Spain is weak and can take the Philippines, maybe even they jump in when America and Spain go to war, so maybe Japan jumps at the chance

Despite all the other issues I have with him, Turtledove had a Russo-Japanese War analog with a "Hispano-Japanese War" Or maybe the Kaiser buys it from spain? Maybe the UK of France? The Dutch?

The Germans.... only need to be more fast with their ships and gouala. They will have the Philipines before the americans(and if the refurse... well helping the spanish is no so difficult)

Another possibility, which I prefer because it gives far more time before decolonization, is Britain retaining the Philippines post-7YW. ;)

There's always the route where Mexico reestablishes the old Vicroyalty's borders and administers the Philippines from Mexico City...hey, a guy can dream, right? ;)

I think the Philippines could be partitioned between Britain, Dutch and Mexico.

That makes so much sense! Mexico taking Spain's former colonies, heh heh heh.

It's probable that if another nation jumped in the Philippines could've been split. If I'm not mistaken, McKinley at first intended to just annex part of the Philippines, right? That may have actually happened if there was the option to split it with another power.

Germany is your best bet, though failing that Turtledove's Japan isn't a bad way to go either. Heck, the USA might even shut up about it if they're allowed some sort of shipping rights in the area. Mexico? I doubt it. If the Philippines go up in arms against Spain during the revolucions, it won't be for Mexico but for themselves.

Germany is your best bet, though failing that Turtledove's Japan isn't a bad way to go either. Heck, the USA might even shut up about it if they're allowed some sort of shipping rights in the area. Mexico? I doubt it. If the Philippines go up in arms against Spain during the revolucions, it won't be for Mexico but for themselves.

I think the Dutch can get the Philippines in the revolutionary wars.

Japan takes the Philippines in the 1620's and never goes Isolationist.

[The Japanese were considering a Invasion]

Mexico? I doubt it. If the Philippines go up in arms against Spain during the revolucions, it won't be for Mexico but for themselves.

Well that goes without saying, though that may not stop a rich and powerful Mexico with an expansionist at the helm from going along with it anyway (the same can apply to any other power). It is a bit of a stretch but not completely ASB from having Mexico take the Philippines.

Well that goes without saying, though that may not stop a rich and powerful Mexico with an expansionist at the helm from going along with it anyway (the same can apply to any other power). It is a bit of a stretch but not completely ASB from having Mexico take the Philippines.

Yes, but it is better for Mexico to partition the Philippines with the Dutch the Northern Island and Palawan goes to the Dutch in order to get their help in expelling the Spanish in South East Asia, I think the Dutch and the Mexicans can ally against Spain.

Yes, but it is better for Mexico to partition the Philippines with the Dutch the Northern Island and Palawan goes to the Dutch in order to get their help in expelling the Spanish in South East Asia, I think the Dutch and the Mexicans can ally against Spain.

Whilst Mexico was fighting for its independence the Dutch were a Napoleonic puppet. Plus, what would the Dutch get in PH that it doesn't have in the DEI?

Whilst Mexico was fighting for its independence the Dutch were a Napoleonic puppet. Plus, what would the Dutch get in PH that it doesn't have in the DEI?

Simple, the Dutch wanted to get the Philippines for a long time, they were in fact attacking the Philippines at the time when they had the DEI, I think DEI can get a slice of the philippines, I think DEI can get the Northern part of the Philippines where in the Spanish have a Tabacco monopoly and Palawan, The dutch can turn it to the former Spanish Tabacco monoply to their monopoly in tabacco

I remember I once read something about some Germans wanting to buy the Philippines in the 1880s but they got no support from Bismark and it never went anywhere. But i cant remember where I found it and how far developed the idea was.

The Germans.... only need to be more fast with their ships and gouala. They will have the Philipines before the americans(and if the refurse... well helping the spanish is no so difficult)

Thing is, if the outcome of WWI is the same (and I don't see why not...Germany needs a lot more than a couple Filipino colonial regiments to win), then at the end of the war, the Philippines are going to be assigned as a League mandate to...somebody. I'm guessing either Britain or France, or (much less likely) Japan.