The Oranje Child (Queen Mary II TL)

Prelude: The Glorious Birth
January 8th, 1681

Amsterdam

To say that the birth of Prince Frederick was miraculous was right. After several miscarriages by Princess Mary the years prior. Named Frederick after his father William's grandfather, the great elector of Prussia; James after his grandfather; and William after his father. His birth both brought happiness to the princess and brought the couple closer by the birth of their son. His birth would later bring profound impact to the succession.

Anne's uncle, King Charles II would send his eldest bastard, the Duke of Monmouth to accompany the prince's birth, as tradition would set and later people would say that Monmouth has said to bring her a message saying that she was now the heiress apparent if she bore a son and that she did but this rumor would soon past because the king had dismissed the idea later on.

England

The birth of Prince Frederick was joy and delight to the prospect of a protestant England after Mary's father the Duke of York takes charge. He is after all a Catholic and England was still afraid of the so called "papal plot". Even his brother, King Charles II was more happy at the birth of his grand nephew than the boy's own grandfather. Rumors said that he wanted Anne next in line rather than his Catholic brother but as many rumors are said, this was doubtful.

The rumors did hurt one person, the heir apparent, the king's brother and the prince's grandfather, James, the Duke of York. He was scared at the prospect of losing the throne that was meant to be his and losing it to his eldest, the Princess Anne. He was so fearful at the rumors that he wouldn't join his daughter but sent her other daughter, Princess Anne. He would only give her a letter of congratulations and sent a few spies into the court of William & Mary in Amsterdam to keep an eye on them. This would cause a big drift at the father-daughter relationship.

France

Fury, the only word that can describe the emotions that the Sun King, Louis XIV when he heard of the birth of Prince Frederick, the son of that dutch bastard, Prince William. The prospect of a Catholic Britain is faltering and is to be feared because of the rumors that King Charles would give the throne to his Protestant niece rather than his Catholic brother and is more solidified with when a maid in Amsterdam overheard the King's bastard, the Duke of Monmouth said to Princess Mary about her uncle's wishes for succession and giving her a letter, probably from the king. This gave shivers down to the Sun King for he cannot control the wild William and the unpredictable and braveheart Anne but her father was easy to manipulate.

The years to come would be unpredictable, thought King Louis XIV as he sat on the Sun Throne.

Last edited:
William & Mary having a surviving son is interesting, but:

1) James would still be heir; this wouldn't change in the short term, but obviously if the Glorious Revolution still happens it means William & Mary having an obvious and immediate legitimate heir right off the bat. It strengthens their rule - and especially William's, assuming Mary still predeceases him.

2) I'm not sure there'd be any debate as to the child being of William's house and name. It isn't like the 1950s with arguments over Mountbatten or Windsor... any children of the marriage of William and Mary would be of William's line, and take his name. This happened with Anne's children with George of Denmark, and I really don't see how this argument would even come about. Dynastic traditions are fairly clear-cut in this regard, and they had a regular marriage.

Fascinating and interesting. I do however agree with Mandead. The glorious revolution happened and placed a protestant dutch Stadtholder atop the English throne was due to a couple of things: A. a verrrrry stubborn catholic English prince who didnt have the live and let live attitude his much more relaxed older brother had and B. a very precise tipping point. If James had been a bit more relaxed in his catholicism or his queen hadnt given birth to a son.... then Mary and William would not have taken the throne... The English werent looking for a protestant prince at this point because they didnt know they needed one... So to make this at least somewhat workable youre going to have to engineer an Alt-Glorious revolution

William & Mary having a surviving son is interesting, but:

1) James would still be heir; this wouldn't change in the short term, but obviously if the Glorious Revolution still happens it means William & Mary having an obvious and immediate legitimate heir right off the bat. It strengthens their rule - and especially William's, assuming Mary still predeceases him.

2) I'm not sure there'd be any debate as to the child being of William's house and name. It isn't like the 1950s with arguments over Mountbatten or Windsor... any children of the marriage of William and Mary would be of William's line, and take his name. This happened with Anne's children with George of Denmark, and I really don't see how this argument would even come about. Dynastic traditions are fairly clear-cut in this regard, and they had a regular marriage.
1. Yeah of course it would strengthen their rule with an obvious heir and still James would be heir and there'll be a sort of Glorious Revolution

2. OkI'll change it so the child would be of the house Oranje

Fascinating and interesting. I do however agree with Mandead. The glorious revolution happened and placed a protestant dutch Stadtholder atop the English throne was due to a couple of things: A. a verrrrry stubborn catholic English prince who didnt have the live and let live attitude his much more relaxed older brother had and B. a very precise tipping point. If James had been a bit more relaxed in his catholicism or his queen hadnt given birth to a son.... then Mary and William would not have taken the throne... The English werent looking for a protestant prince at this point because they didnt know they needed one... So to make this at least somewhat workable youre going to have to engineer an Alt-Glorious revolution
Just wait there'll be a surprise in 1683

And in this TTL people in Britain are more afraid of a Catholic king because of the fear of war with France and their hostility to the Catholic French and with James as a friend and a puppet of the French in the eyes of the British (Scots & English) it makes them more anti-James and anti-Catholic

Okay fair enough (for the record I am of dutch descent and I cheer for anything dutch so my observations are simply meant to help things rather then criticism), so I look forward to what you have in store.

Chapter I: The State of Britain

The Court of St. James, England

The king had a meeting with one William Penn, son of Admiral Penn. He had owed the elder Penn a huge sum of money and so to pay the debt, King Charles gave a huge plot of land in the new world calling it Pennsylvania but the younger Penn was embarrassed and so the king granted the name change and so the land was simplified as Sylvania (forests, woods).

Next was the issue of succession. The birth of Prince Frederick brought up the issue once again and again the Exclusion Bill was brought to life again by the damn Earl of Shaftesburry. King Charles met with the Earl and his brother, the Duke of York to try to resolve the problem but the meeting got hot and so the Earl left and straight back to parliament. The meeting backfired as Shaftesburry, who went back to parliament describe his meeting with York and said that, "I cannot emphasize the traits of this man, who by law would be our next king! His rash behavior, his lack of wisdom and kindness unlike our king and his brother and after all his Catholic! Members! Not you forget our misery under the Catholics! Remember Bloody Mary! Remember the Spanish Armada! Let's today create a better and Protestant England by introducing the Bill of Exclusion! So that we may pursue a better monarch possibly by the King's niece and not his bastard!" The king fearing the possibility of the bill passing after all the heir in the bill already had herself an heir and so the king again dissolved parliament with his royal powers.

Military and Finance, the bane of kings. It was the last issue of the day and this both bored and worried King Charles. He had reports of King Louis XIV has raised a number of men to the Spanish low countries especially after reports coming out of Vienna that the emperor had fallen ill (it was just fever) but it made the king bold plus with the uncertainty after Prince Fredrick's birth made the French even more bold so one of Charles' commander, John Churchill, one of his brother's lackeys, proposed that a regiment be posted in Amsterdam as to "accompany the Princess Mary for his son's baptism" this was countered by his cousin, the Lord High Admiral who proposed sending the navy to Amsterdam and the channel to"patrol the seas and to protect our allies." Finally the king agreed to his cousin to send the navy but be albeit small numbers of them. His Lord Treasurer, the Earl of Rochester had gave the king his annual treasury report and reporting a stable treasury because of the peacetime and the surplus, the king was pleased at the report.

As the day was coming to a close a messanger came. He hailed himself as a messanger from his dutch nephew, William. He requested something very much impossible, New York City. The messanger said that Statdtholder William wanted the city but almost everyone in the court laughed out loud at the impossibility of that request but the messanger said that the city would be returned to the English when the Princess Mary or her son Prince Frederick was on the throne. People went silent but the Lord Chancellor, Sir Heenage Finch said that wasn't an impossibility and would discuss it with the king. The messanger bowed and went out.

The King, Lord Chancellor and the Lord Treasurer discussed the matter privately. The king was adamant that New York wouldn't be handed to the dutch but both the Lord Chancellor and the Lord Treasurer halted the king. The Chancellor, Sir Heenage Finch argued that giving up New York would be still status quo because of course Mary would be Queen because the king's brother, York hasn't have a male heir from his Catholic wife and the weight of the military would be lighten from the burden of guarding the bay and a said to give the protection to the dutch. The Lord Treasurer, Laurence Hyde argued that even though the nation is in a surplus their money wouldn't be enough if there was a prolonged war and both of them predicted there would be a war soon with the French. He argued that the Dutch should pay for New York. The King only nodded and said to bring the messanger to the court tomorrow for his decision. The Lords bowed and went out.

Somewhere In England

"The king has again dissolved parliament! He has again sided with his Catholic brother rather than the Protestant people of England and Scotland. We must act against this injustice and defend our island from the popish plot!" Said a middle-aged long jawed Englishman.

"And what do you propose? Rebellion? We'll be dead in a few months! Assassination? We'll fail of course!" Said a Scotsman.

"We will not fail! We shall be successful in this endeavor, gentleman! Are you with me? For a Britain free of the papal rule & a free one!"

This simple discussion between men would be the start of a plot that would shake the foundations of both England & Scotland. This was after all 3 years after the so-called popish plot which was spearheaded by Titus Oates or more eloquently, Titus the Liar. His conspiracy of the so called plot to kill King Charles II by the Society of Jesuits had bring about people's fright of the Catholics. The plot would destroy parts of the Catholic society and the Jesuits reputation for years to come but the profound impact on the people of Britain would be heard for decades to come.

York

The Duke of York would not be afraid of the Exclusion Bill that was proposed by the Earl of Shaftesburry the earlier year because these attempts were already made by him for 3 years and all has failed including now, even his brother had supported him by dissolving the called "Oxford Parliament." He knew that Shaftesburry was determined to get him out of the throne but he knew nothing could stop the Duke out of the throne. He needed to empower himself more so that they can't touch him. He needed almost royal power so that Shaftesburry could get his ass out of him and secure himself in the throne. He needed an heir but his young wife still hadn't gotten herself pregnant. He wanted a catholic Britain like before the age of Henry VIII or like the age of his ancestor, Mary, Queen of Scots. For now his heir is his eldest daughter, the Princess Mary who was married to that dutch heathen, William.

Last edited:
Okay fair enough (for the record I am of dutch descent and I cheer for anything dutch so my observations are simply meant to help things rather then criticism), so I look forward to what you have in store.

Thank you my former colonialist! (I'm Indonesian BTW)

Are you Epimethius from the same name YouTuber? Just Asking

Last edited:

Hey just like one of my coworkers (indonesian chinese). My apologies on the colonization thing btw. Umm no I just like the handle. Interesting that an indonesian is doing a tl on their former colonizer.

Hey just like one of my coworkers (indonesian chinese). My apologies on the colonization thing btw. Umm no I just like the handle. Interesting that an indonesian is doing a tl on their former colonizer.
Yeah well it's just interesting! Thanks ya dutchman

No sweat, it's okay

I like your TL, and BTW I'm a Roman Catholic Dutchman, who's ancestors are from the former Generality Lands (with the Batavian Republic, 1795, Catholics and/or subjects from the Generality Lands gained full citizenship, though Catholic emancipation lasted until the 1960's...). To make things more interesting my home town in Brabant belonged to the Barony of Breda, a traditional (Orange-) Nassau possession, in fact there is were it all started for them in Low Countries. In fact a great-uncle of my mother had been a missionary in the then Dutch East Indies.
Colonization is still a tricky one, yes we are now appalled by the atrocities committed by Coen for the V.O.C. (a company with Dutch shareholders, so yes the Dutch Republic became richer, but that wealthy was not distributed equally), and we know about things, which went wrong under colonial rule thanks to Multatuli's (Eduard Douwes Dekker) 'Max Havelaar'. Not to mention how the Dutch handled decolonization, granted I do understand that the Dutch government did not trust the Indonesian government, which is not only about the period of the Japanese occupation (well certainly from the Dutch perspective), but also what happened before that. In principle repatriating native Dutchman was good, many KNIL military and their families followed them in exile. IIRC the Dutch even promised the Moluccans an own state, an empty promise (though given their loyal service, since our strongest mutual ally the USA, did want to antagonize a strong regional Asian power and it took a while before The Hague realized they had lost ability to project power there, meanwhile plenty Dutch conscripts were send there anyway (I guess in some way it is our Vietnam war, things went wrong on the ground sometimes, but the men really responsible were our politicians).
At the same time we still speak of our Golden Age and apart from art, science and military victories, that includes our age of exploration too, like many former colonial powers. Frankly saying it was all bad for us, would be lying to be politically correct. In the home town of Coen, Hoorn, there since the 19th century was a statue for him, there was a debate to remove it, instead they opted to keep it, but to list everything he had done, so including what he had done on the Banda Isles; IMHO better than removing it and to stay ignorant from the unpleasant bits, it was gray sometimes even by the standards of their own time, another often overlooked thing. When we in the 21th century are appalled by things in the past, it may just mean times have changed, but when contemporaries are appalled by what had happened, then it means that even by their own standards it was wrong.
More importantly people from the former Dutch East Indies ended up enriching the Netherlands, most visible in fields like pop music and of course cuisine, both Indonesian and specific Dutch East Indies cuisine, were only widely introduced after 1945. Most importantly most Dutch know people from Indonesian* descent or are themselves in varying degrees from at least partial Indonesian* descent. (*= obviously in most cases this dates from the V.O.C. and Dutch East Indies era)
Sorry I digressed a bit too much, colonization, especially between a former colony and 'motherland'** (**= of the Dutch colony, which may or may not equate the Indonesian archipelago), IMHO is more complex than to just say sorry. It's easy for former colonial powers to denounce the atrocious incidents during the colonial rule, but do they really regret how it added to the wealth in their country (granted, in the Dutch case, the often underestimated Baltic trade was the true backbone of Dutch trade)?

Finally back to topic, the dynasty would be Orange-Nassau/Oranje-Nassau, the last Nassau withe a link by blood to the previous ruling house in the principality of Orange was René of Chalons (Nassau-Breda), who adopted his Nassau-Dillenburg nephew Willem (the Silent), provided he would be raised as a Roman Catholic, we all know how that ended. Finally Frederik for a Orange-Nassau is unusually, since Willem seemed to have been their name of choice, OTOH I never understood why Frederik Hendrik wasn't honored more often by the house house of Orange-Nassau, but IMHO it would make sense that the IOTL king-stadtholder Willem III would want to name his eldest son Willem.

Last edited:
I like your TL, and BTW I'm a Roman Catholic Dutchman, who's ancestors are from the former Generality Lands (with the Batavian Republic, 1795, Catholics and/or subjects from the Generality Lands gained full citizenship, though Catholic emancipation lasted until the 1960's...). To make things more interesting my home town in Brabant belonged to the Barony of Breda, a traditional (Orange-) Nassau possession, in fact there is were it all started for them in Low Countries. In fact a great-uncle of my mother had been a missionary in the then Dutch East Indies.
Colonization is still a tricky one, yes we are now appalled by the atrocities committed by Coen for the V.O.C. (a company with Dutch shareholders, so yes the Dutch Republic became richer, but that wealthy was not distributed equally), and we know about things, which went wrong under colonial rule thanks to Multatuli's (Eduard Douwes Dekker) 'Max Havelaar'. Not to mention how the Dutch handled decolonization, granted I do understand that the Dutch government did not trust the Indonesian government, which is not only about the period of the Japanese occupation (well certainly from the Dutch perspective), but also what happened before that. In principle repatriating native Dutchman was good, many KNIL military and their families followed them in exile. IIRC the Dutch even promised the Moluccans an own state, an empty promise (though given their loyal service, since our strongest mutual ally the USA, did want to antagonize a strong regional Asian power and it took a while before The Hague realized they had lost ability to project power there, meanwhile plenty Dutch conscripts were send there anyway (I guess in some way it is our Vietnam war, things went wrong on the ground sometimes, but the men really responsible were our politicians).
At the same time we still speak of our Golden Age and apart from art, science and military victories, that includes our age of exploration too, like many former colonial powers. Frankly saying it was all bad for us, would be lying to be politically correct. In the home town of Coen, Hoorn, there since the 19th century was a statue for him, there was a debate to remove it, instead they opted to keep it, but to list everything he had done, so including what he had done on the Banda Isles; IMHO better than removing it and to stay ignorant from the unpleasant bits, it was gray sometimes even by the standards of their own time, another often overlooked thing. When we in the 21th century are appalled by things in the past, it may just mean times have changed, but when contemporaries are appalled by what had happened, then it means that even by their own standards it was wrong.
More importantly people from the former Dutch East Indies ended up enriching the Netherlands, most visible in fields like pop music and of course cuisine, both Indonesian and specific Dutch East Indies cuisine, were only widely introduced after 1945. Most importantly most Dutch know people from Indonesian* descent or are themselves in varying degrees from at least partial Indonesian* descent. (*= obviously in most cases this dates from the V.O.C. and Dutch East Indies era)
Sorry I digressed a bit too much, colonization, especially between a former colony and 'motherland'** (**= of the Dutch colony, which may or may not equate the Indonesian archipelago), IMHO is more complex than to just say sorry. It's easy for former colonial powers to denounce the atrocious incidents during the colonial rule, but do they really regret how it added to the wealth in their country (granted, in the Dutch case, the often underestimated Baltic trade was the true backbone of Dutch trade)?

After 350 years of Dutch rule I appreciate the gesture of peace which is made by you. Thank God for the dutch now knowing how many atrocities which the VOC made during their rule. A lot of Indonesian still carry bad blood with the dutch because of the lying, deceiving, murdering after 350 years. Now is the time of reconciliation. BTW Edward Douwes Dekker (Mutatuli) and his descendant E.F.E Douwes Dekker (Setiabudi) are credited in Indonesia as heroes even though they were dutch and both of them are regarded as national heroes especially Setiabudi who is a leading independence leader and named one of the founders of IDN

Finally back to topic, the dynasty would be Orange-Nassau/Oranje-Nassau, the last Nassau withe a link by blood to the previous ruling house in the principality of Orange was René of Chalons (Nassau-Breda), who adopted his Nassau-Dillenburg nephew Willem (the Silent), provided he would be raised as a Roman Catholic, we all know how that ended. Finally Frederik for a Orange-Nassau is unusually, since Willem seemed to have been their name of choice, OTOH I never understood why Frederik Hendrik wasn't honored more often by the house house of Orange-Nassau, both IMHO it would make sense that the IOTL king-stadtholder Willem III would want to name his eldest son Willem.

I already named his son William as his last name, yes I agree with you but at this TTL the child is named more English because he is viewed as a potential heir so his name must be primarily English. The Frederick means that he has great German blood (Prussia) and I named it because a lot of great leaders are Frederick (the great elector, the great both Prussian)

@President Roosevelt: William of Orange’s mother was Mary Henrietta Stuart, Princess Royal of England, the eldest daughter of Charles I, so her brother Charles II will think or talk about him as his (Dutch) nephew (and not nephew-in-law) and is unlikely who the Duke of York will think to his nephew and son-in-law as that dutch brute (but maybe he will use some dispregiative in relation to William’s religion)

@President Roosevelt: William of Orange’s mother was Mary Henrietta Stuart, Princess Royal of England, the eldest daughter of Charles I, so her brother Charles II will think or talk about him as his (Dutch) nephew (and not nephew-in-law) and is unlikely who the Duke of York will think to his nephew and son-in-law as that dutch brute (but maybe he will use some dispregiative in relation to William’s religion)
I changed it

Chapter II: The Statdholder
William_and_Mary_cropped.jpg

"My Child Will be the Greatest King in Europe!"

- Prince William of Oranje, during a cabinet meeting

There were many reasons to be William of Oranje during the year of 1682. The French had backed down during a confrontation between the English navy, Dutch army, and the threats from the full wrath of the Habsburg might. The announced pregnancy of his wife, Mary. The huge surplus gaining from the spice rich East Indies and the huge trade profits and the purchase of New York City as a trade center in North America but at the price of 500 gulden per year until his son or wife gains the throne of England and the protection of both English and Dutch ships across North America. This was fair, William thought but he knew that this also benefited the English, a steady supply of cash from the Dutch and also they could focus their navy away from the Americas into their more preferred theater, Europe.

William had always feared his mortal enemy, Louis XVI of France. Even though he had backed down from his military movement, he was still a formidable and unpredictable man. Louis XVI had always had his "Reunion" policies and his hunger for the Spanish Low Countries and France's German neighbors. This was examplefied with the annexation attempt of Strassburg which had failed after the confrontation at the channel and at Metz. After the confrontation with the surplus of cash and trade, William had asked both the Dutch States General and Pensioner General Gaspar Fagel for more funding to the military and the navy. Fagel was always a loyalist to William and he was easily swayed but the States General was another whole question. After discussions with the leadership including Michiel ten Hove and occasional ally Anthonie Heinsius, William found a compromise with the privileges of the merchant guarded and a slight power increase to the Dutch East Indies Company which was booming at the time after they had gotten 2/3 of the East Indies and defeating several unruly kings, like Sultan Hasanuddin from Makassar from Celebes and taming the great sultanate of Mataram in Java.

220px-Lord_sunderland.jpg

Robert Spencer, Earl of Sunderland, a favorite of Charles II,
Fourth bringer of the Exclusion Bill

The Succession question of England was always turning up even one of the King Charles II advisors, Robert Spencer, the Earl of Sunderland had even arrived to Amsterdam for the Princess Anne and her husband, Statdholder William to make a case in Parliament for his wife's and son's claim to the English throne and support of the new Exclusion Bill but now under the grace of Spencer because the Earl of Shaftesburry had been indicted of high treason and was in the Tower of London. William wondered why was the king's former favorite had easily fallen out of favor but he didn't care for the ambitious and know-it-all man, he only cared for the well being of the himself and his family and his wife's succession.

Charles II had allowed at the behest of parliament allow Spencer's Exclusion Bill to be reviewed and he would allow any dispute with the succession to be resolved within the realm of possibility and so William who obviously sided with Spencer. William, Mary and his infant son, Frederick William went to the so-called "King's Parliament" this session of parliament was called after the parliament before was disbanded after Shaftesburry's infamous speech and his indictment of treason made the king uncomfortable, especially the Duke of York, heir apparent to Charles II. Both the king and his brother, especially his brother was reluctant to let William to speak because he thought that this'll empower both William and Anne and damaging Duke James' standing especially with his wife, Mary of Modena having several miscarriages and failing having a Catholic heir for York.
======================================​

William stood in front of parliament, full of the king's supporters but he knew that most of them are still very much anti-catholic especially against Prince James, Duke of York. Anne and his infant son, Prince Frederick William sits next to him and he began speaking, "Speaker! Member of the Commons! Today we are brought together for a reason! A reason which is the succession to the throne of England & Scotland! England is a beautiful land, full of magnificent people and beautiful arts but I can see one problem for this land, its succession! The English were one of the first nation to reject the Catholic teachings and the pope's misguided ways and embrace the true ways for religion, the way of Martin Luther, John Calvin, and Henry VIII. We must again look at the state of England and see that you are in a state of crisis! You are again nearing the ways of the past, the ways of Catholicism by nominating Duke James of York! Even though he is a member of the royal family and the father of my wife and the grandfather of my dear son, he is still a Catholic! Gentleman of the house, are you sure you want to have a King not only that is Catholic but also a French lover! You and I fought the French 4 years ago! Do you want to have a monarch who is a puppet of the evil which is Louis of France! I say no! ( the room filled with ovation but with also a number of boos. This lasts for 30 seconds) For you all who still doubts the legitimacy of my wife's claim for the heir apparent than don't look far, just look at the king's representative today, James Scott, Duke of Monmouth and son of the king! He has assured my beloved the throne at my son's birth! He had even given this letter to Anne! (William then raised a letter while pointing at the Duke of Monmouth, who was embarrassed at everyone looking)"

Everyone was at a shock, even Speaker John Trevor who after blanking for a second, tried to calm the shocked and angered members of the parliament. James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, son of King Charles II was booed out of the parliament with armed escort. William only smiled with Anne sitting behind him nodding and smiling with him. The question of succession just blew up in England.

Last edited:
Chapter III: Rupert's Last Journey
Screen-Shot-2013-12-16-at-20.10.50.png

"So here I die... In a New Land with New People..."

- Prince Rupert's last words
Early 1682

Pennsburg, Province of Sylvania

Prince Rupert of the Rhine, former Lord High Admiral of England had resigned his post in mid 1681 after he was granted governorship of Carolina and the task of colonizing the south near New Spain. He set of in 1681 and arrived at the new colony of Sylvania and the small port town of Pennsburg under William Penn. Although reluctant of naming the city after the founder, Quakers who moved to Sylvania had voted overwelmingly for the name of Pennsburg and so Penn, who was a advocate of democracy agreed to the name.

By the time Prince Rupert had arrived in Pennsburg it was a small but thriving port with both white and Indians trading in the market and chatting with each other, Rupert would find these interactions as charming and arousing to a European's eye and he absolutely adored it, he wrote in his journals. He met and chatted with the founder, William Penn and talked about the situation in Europe, the colony and Rupert's intentions. He was pleased knowing that Rupert was in charge of the colonies and said that man must be friendly with each other even though they are different. This was a nod to the friendly relationship Penn made with the Indians. Rupert stayed in Pennsburg for a week before heading out south to the Province of Carolina.

Charleston, Province of Carolina

Rupert arrived at Charleston with an approximately 20 ships and a few hundred settlers that were dispatched from both Sylvania and England for colonization. These men and women were either refugees or prisoners moved to the Americas to be disposed of. He had met with the previous governor, Joseph West and said that he would be replacing him but Ruoert, not being much of a administrator handled a few jobs to him and making West his number 2 in Carolina. He spent a few months there, cleaning up the Province and securing Charleston with construction and construction as to making it more comfortable and defendable. There were complaints from the local populace that some of the prisoners had been harassing them and so he put them back into a ship and put to stay there until further notice.

One day an Indian approached Charleston but the Garrison behaved inapropriately and he was chased out. A few days later a swarm of Indians came and harassed the Garrison. Rupert, feeling uncomfortable with the situation went out with four men, including Joseph West. This was arguably one of the most famous scene in British Colonial History, the so called "The Peace of Two People" This act would carry north american natives to the British for centuries and made Prince Rupert the hero of both the British Colonialism and Native Friendship.
==================​
The scene started when unexpectedly Rupert and the crew when neared the camp suddenly dropped their weapons and Rupert suddenly spoke in their native language of Cherokee and started to speak, "Oh hail chief! I mean you no harm! My men and I was mistaken in your need for help and I so apologize! I offer you my weapons as a peace offering!" The chief smiled and embraced Rupert as he went down from his horse and said to him, "I accept this peace offering white man! I only seek revenge for my tribesman! What can you do to stop his suffering?" Rupert smiled at the chief and said, "A man up north teach us humility and peace. Your people and mine are the same. I only want peace and not revenge. So do you, chief! I offer you no men and no revenge. Only an open gate and freedom. Do you accept?" The chief was happy but he turned back to his lieutenants, including the man who was humiliated by Rupert's soldiers. Not the chief who then spoke to him but the humiliated man, "We, the Cherokee accept your deal, white man!"

images

Painting of meeting between Prince Rupert of the Rhine and
The Cherokee Chief

October 1682

Southern Carolina, No Man's Land

Prince Rupert of the Rhine, after a few months in Charleston left the town and province under the protection of his capable lieutenant, John West and set on to the south with a new batch of colonists, mostly Englishman from Charleston and a bunch of Quakers with a small number of prisoners with a few friendly Cherokees for them to be guides, including the humiliated man or now more known as Homa or to the Europeans as "Honoris". They reached south of Carolina, still under British jurisdiction but no one claimed it. Honoris said that the land was good and there were many fish life in, so the colonists set their camp there. They wanted to leave but conditions were not suitable as their leader, Prince Rupert was ill and so they stayed there for a few weeks. Eventually a small town was set up, not their intention but they couldn't go anywhere so they just build on top of their old camp. Eventually the sick and ailing Prince of the Rhine died under the heat of the new world with loyal men and women surrounded him. He uttered peace in his last words and so the great peace bringer has died but a new city will be built on top of his grave. The City of Rupertsburg and in the Province of Honoria, as his last will says.

images

The Death of The Peace Bringer

Last edited:
The announced pregnancy of his wife, Anne

Um...don't you mean Mary? (for either Willem or James). Princess Anne wasn't married yet IIRC, so if she were to be pregnant it would cause a major scandal. And Anne Hyde's been dead for a few years.

immortal enemy, Louis XVI of France

He certainly must be immortal. Good thing they discovered a guillotine is a perfect way of killing him.
You mean "mortal enemy" and it's Louis XIV.

Sorry for the corrections. Interesting TL BTW. I really like the idea of Willem and Mary having kids.

Cool but implausible thing with Rupert. In 1681 in OTL he was wheelchair-bound and in no seafaring condition, though TTL's PoD is 1678, it seems (no Mary's miscarriage to render her infertile). So things may happen.
Cool stuff otherwise.