The Disney Film Archives (A Shifted Disney Canon)

Chapter Seventy-Four: Encanto (1989)
Chapter Seventy-Four: Encanto (1989)
alan-menken-howard-ashman-at-oscars-alan-menken-16290836-1200-823-1000x686.jpg

Howard Ashman and Alan Menken receive their first Oscar for Encanto

The Big Disney Test Had Arrived at long last. 1989 was the first year an animated film would be released that was made post-coup. It was the Disney family bond that inspired Don Bluth to make the film, but it was writer John Musker who took that idea and expanded upon it. Well, visiting Epcot and the World showcase, Musker got the idea for Disney to explore new culture cultures. This idea would eventually end up with the studio creating films such as The Little Mermaid, The Lion King and much later Aladdin but before all those came the first one to do it. Musker proposed the idea to Bluth, who agreed. After much debate, the team settled on Columbia. Musker was soon after appointed as writer though Disney hired Columbian Writer Gabriel García Márquez to help get the writing right.

The next step for Bluth as the script was worked upon was the music. To him and many others Disney musicals were the studio’s bread and butter, turning away from that was a mistake and so the newly named Encanto would be a return to form. There was no question on just who would take on the task of crafting the music. That job went to Howard Ashman and Alan Menken. The pair were highly trusted by now though instead of jumping straight into the project the pair made sure to look into Columbian music. Disney was intent on trying to make the film represent Columbia as much as they could. Songs included The Magic Within, We Don't Talk About Bruno, The Miracle of Family and many more.

It was decided early on that the film needed no true villain and instead a focus would be placed on family, a family that was voiced mostly by Columbian actors and actresses that included John Leguizamo, Lillo Brancato, Karina Arroyave. Disney was keen to get the film right. There was some worry that the film would falter. Despite the success of who framed Roger Rabbit, nobody quite knew if that film was a one-time deal or if it could indeed match the success of that film. More money and resources were dedicated to Encanto than any other Disney animated film in decades, a new studio was opened and more animators were hired. If the film failed, it could very well spell the end of Disney, but as we know, that’s far from what happened.

The film was released on November 17, 1989. Hopes and fears were high in the studio. All the worries were for nought as the Disney renaissance had arrived, one even used that phrase in an article which coined the term. Encanto was not just a success, it was a box office hit performing just under what the framed Roger Rabbit had. Very quickly the reviews heaped praise on the film, which in turn increased the number of people going to see it. Inside the studio, the mood was jubilant, with almost ecstatic levels of happiness that the film was a success. Encanto would go on to get Howard Ashman and Alan Menken their first Oscar, though it was not to be the last. As for Encanto, today it is viewed highly as one of the best Disney projects made. Now they knew they could make good animated films again, Disney had to keep it up as the 1990s loomed. And yet the fear of 1989 was already subsiding, the world was entering the naughty nineties and Disney was more ready than ever.

Chapter Seventy-Five: Disney’s Racing Adventure (1990)
Chapter Seventy-Five: Disney’s Racing Adventure (1990)
Untitled.jpg

(Concept Art)​

The 1990s had arrived and with them would come major innovations from the rapid rise of the internet to, blockbuster. The decade was set to change things. The Soviet Union was gone, replaced by a new democratic republic all the while new nations emerged on the scene. Before the terror of 2001, the 1990s was a peaceful realignment era. In 1992, The first Mario Kart would arrive and change the genre again, which would put Disney’s 1990 entry on the backfoot again, being forgotten about with its sequels fairing much better in most Mario Kart worlds, but like it or not. Disney’s Racing Adventure came first in 1990, two years before Super Mario Kart.

In the late 1980s, the video game industry was booming, and Disney-Atari wanted to tap into this new form of entertainment. Inspired by the success of the Mickey Mouse and the Race to Victory, Disney sought to create their own racing game featuring beloved Disney characters. Disney-Atari sought permission from Don Bluth who had overseen the production of the film, after talks between Disney-Atari and Don Bluth the project was given the go-ahead.

The gameplay was a simple racing game that contained a solo single-player and multiplayer mode. Features Super Mario Kart would develop were missing but the game did contain multiple characters and maps. These Include:

Characters: Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Mini Mouse, Snow White, Evil Queen, Hook, Peter Pan, Goofy and Scrooge Mcduck/Huey, Dewey and Louie.

Tracks:
Mouseton Circuit, Duckberg Plains, Neverland Valley, Magic Kingdom Castle, Duckberg, Pirate Cove Beach, Tomorrowland Speedway and Toon Town Road.

The game was a success upon release and sold well for Disney, it went on to enjoy big success as the first major racing game of the 90s yet its fame would only last two years and it was soon eclipsed by Mario Kart and then by other games in the series. Today the game is seen as a prototype of what was to come, even if it’s forgotten today. The game set the Race going on racing games two years before Mario joined the race.

Updates will resume shortly, as of now I am preparing for the November 1st launch of another timeline.
It may be a few weeks but once the first post of that is up, we can get to what would be Cars II.

Small update about the future of this timeline: it's safe so don't panic, we will return in November as stated. the update is simply that things may take longer now that an ai ban is in place. i was using it to give me basic ideas for plots then adding more meat to them (because ai is shite) so bear with me on updates as i cant risk the wrath of the mods.

Small update about the future of this timeline: it's safe so don't panic, we will return in November as stated. the update is simply that things may take longer now that an ai ban is in place. i was using it to give me basic ideas for plots then adding more meat to them (because ai is shite) so bear with me on updates as i cant risk the wrath of the mods.
when was there a A.I ban?

Last edited:
11. Content produced by generative AI, such as ChatGPT, is generally not allowed. Exceptions will be made for off-topic content, such as quoted text from other web sites, and image threads. Do not use generative AI to create alternate history.
It's a very minor change to the chapters going forward and wont impact much bar increasing time.
well; that sucks. i was going to use A.I. Images for stuff like the Disney and Warner Family to fill in gaps for my TL but I can't now. but I will use something else entirely.

well; that sucks. i was going to use A.I. Images for stuff like the Disney and Warner Family to fill in gaps for my TL but I can't now. but I will use something else entirely.
i don't quite know the rules around A.I images and if they fit under the same rule.
i hope they don't because my other story has a few chapters with ai images, because it allows me to showcase alternative things.

Chapter Seventy-Six: Mickey Mouse and The Infinity Race (1990)
Chapter Seventy-Six: Mickey Mouse and The Infinity Race (1990)
Oswald%20the%20Lucky%20Rabbit%20for%20Disney100

(Concept Art for Oswald's Racer)

To commit to sequels or focus solely on new movies was a question that arose under the new team. Sequels could very well work well or they could undermine the original movie. The studio was divided, sequels had been hit or miss for Disney and they had only just bounced back. Could they risk ruining the new reputation they had built on a sequel? The prerogative to make a sequel to the first Race Movie came from an unlikely source. By the 1990s, Roald Dahl, the man who had once worked with Disney to push out a film in the 40s and then again later on, was now one of the most well-known children’s writers. He had dabbled in and out of Hollywood but now, at the age of 74, he wanted to return to produce a film about King Arthur and Merlin, so a deal was to be born. Dahl considered pitching his idea to a few studios but soon settled on Disney.

Times had changed quite drastically since Dahl had been at Disney, but Bluth was more than happy to meet the man. Talks commenced in early 1988 and though nobody can be sure of what was discussed (as Disney is known for trying to keep talks private) an agreement was made. Dahl would help the studio make a sequel to a past film and in return his film titled, The Sword in Stone would be made. Nobody is quite certain why the racing movie was selected as the film that Dahl should help them with. Theories suggest it’s because of his work with Ian Fleming. Never the less, the yet untitled Racer 2 went into production.

The main question that arose was where to take the film next after the team defeated Pete at the end of the first film. For Dahl, the answer was simple: the studio should look into the past for a villain. Their eyes landed on Toy Story. The film had reassurance in popularity and even the fourth film was gaining love. It also helped that the franchise was soon set to debut on VHS for the very first time. To that end, Pete was replaced by Zurg, the villain of Toy Story 4. By doing this, the team added a sci-fi twist to the sequel. The first film was much more rooted in Disney Fantasy. It was around this time the film gained its name: Mickey Mouse and the Infinity Race.

The story begins where the first film left off in Toon Town, where Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and the rest of the gang are excitedly preparing for the grand anniversary Toon Town Racing Championship. Yet before the race can begin, the space tyrant Zurg has crash-landed his spaceship in the heart of Toon Town. With a nefarious plan to steal the happiness and laughter from the Town. Mickey and his friends know they can't let this happen and jump into action to embark on a thrilling race to Stop Zurg. Alongside the characters from the first film, the film also introduced toy story characters such as Woody and Buzz into the toon-verse.

The film was released in July of 1990, the first film in a whole new decade. It was a fantastic start for Disney as the film became the highest-grossing animated film of the decade. The film was praised for its heart, though some criticism was levelled at Zurg, with some believing he was not as good as Pete from the first film. Nevertheless, the film proved to the studio that, with great effort and care, sequels could work. The new question that arose was, could the studio pull off another racing movie? Time would tell.