When You Wish Upon a Nightmare - WDAS Collapses in the 80s

So...do anyone want to bet that Walt and Roy Sr. Disney probably are cursing at Michael Eisner in non-friendly way in the afterlife TTL? I can imagine that the rest of Disney family aren't happy with him, either.

So...do anyone want to bet that Walt and Roy Sr. Disney probably are cursing at Michael Eisner in non-friendly way in the afterlife TTL? I can imagine that the rest of Disney family aren't happy with him, either.
I’m not so sure. There were discussions of closing down the animation division after Sleeping Beauty, which was during Walt’s lifetime. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if Walt himself would hate Eisner for shutting down WDAS even in death.

Firstly, love that Oliver & Company is a DreamWorks film because the movie certainly has similar elements to the studio's formula.

Secondly, I'd be interested in your plans for Dinosaur. Dinosaur is considered one of the worst films in the canon, but here I would be interested to see if you can salvage it. It would be cool if the original concept of telling a dark, gritty, dialogue free, stop motion dinosaur epic came to be. This video outlines those ideas. Maybe Dinosaur comes out a year or two before Jurassic Park?

Firstly, love that Oliver & Company is a DreamWorks film because the movie certainly has similar elements to the studio's formula.

Secondly, I'd be interested in your plans for Dinosaur. Dinosaur is considered one of the worst films in the canon, but here I would be interested to see if you can salvage it. It would be cool if the original concept of telling a dark, gritty, dialogue free, stop motion dinosaur epic came to be. This video outlines those ideas. Maybe Dinosaur comes out a year or two before Jurassic Park?
”Oliver and Company” was suggested in Katzenberg’s “Gong Show” where animators pitched ideas, I can see something similar happening in TTL’s Dreamworks.

As for Dinosaur, it’s far too early to say for sure whether it’ll exist. We’ll see when we get there

Chapter 4: Collapse
Many persisted that Walt Disney Animation Studios would prevail in this crisis and stay afloat, yet others knew that classic Disney films will soon be a thing of the past. After three consecutive failures with "The Black Cauldron" becoming the final nail in the coffin, the collapse of Walt Disney Animation Studios was pretty much inevitable, even if one could argue that the stage had been set since 1980. Studio chairman Roy E. Disney was a huge advocate of keeping the animation studio alive and try to put it back on its feet, Disney believed that if the studio could be restructured correctly, it would survive past the ongoing disaster. Meanwhile Michael Eisner saw the writing on the wall and planned on the animation studio's closure by the end of the year, the damage was done and there was no way it could be repaired in such a short amount of time. In his own words: "This isn't one of those fairytale films we make, this is reality and the damage was done."

Both parties were at odds with each other and needless to say, Disney couldn't figure out a suitable treatment and recovery for WDAS in time, all he could wass delay the inevitable through meetings and negotiation attempts. On July 2nd 1986, Walt Disney Animation Studios closed its doors for good. From this point forward, the only animated works to come out of Walt Disney Productions were distributed films and occasional re-releases. As for ongoing television works such as "The Wuzzles" and "Adventures of the Gummi Bears", production was halted and "Adventures of the Gummi Bears" became lost media for several decades, only "The Wuzzles" ended up seeing the light of day due to its short run on television and it being completed by the time "The Black Cauldron" released. Walt Disney Productions solely focused on theme parks, merchandising and producing live-action films of varying quality.

Administration-wise, Roy Disney was having none of this. Disney sought to launch a similar campaign to remove Eisner as he did with Ron Miller, yet it never went far as many within the company opposed having Eisner fired. At the very least, Eisner showed competence in managing the theme parks. For better or for worse, Eisner was here to stay. Jeffrey Katzenberg however had experienced a fallout with Eisner during the discussions regarding WDAS. Like Disney, Katzenberg was an advocate for keeping animation at Disney alive. After all animated work ended at Disney, Katzenberg left Walt Disney Productions for greener pastures. Katzenberg managed to snatch John Lasseter and a few other animators with him, Katzenberg then formed his own animation studio Dreamworks Animation in late 1986. Dreamworks focused on television commercials before striking gold with 1988's "Oliver and Company", but that's a different story. For now, the animation industry had lost its major and biggest player, and there was a huge void for everybody else to fill. Fortunately, audiences didn't have to wait long for the animation industry to deliver.
Oh damn......hopefully DreamWorks can do good. Maybe Don Bluth takes some of the staff and forms his own studio? Hell, even George Lucas and Steven Spielberg could make their own animation studios at this point.
Yep.....

Dinosaur could actually be TTL's Jurassic Park?

Oh damn......hopefully DreamWorks can do good. Maybe Don Bluth takes some of the staff and forms his own studio? Hell, even George Lucas and Steven Spielberg could make their own animation studios at this point.
Based on my current plans, DreamWorks will likely feel like OTL's counterpart with some differences

Actually, Disney only funded it as an independent production. Hyperion Pictures produced and distributed it in OTL.
Hard to say whether Disney/Hyperion would still want to release it after TTL's Black Cauldron ficaso

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I actually have most of Dreamworks/Don Bluth's filmography planned out. The only thing I need to think about is Pixar.

Oh yes, and I was wondering whether I should do chapters yearly (i.e Chapter 5: 1988, Chapter 7: 1990 etc) or go by each film (i.e Chapter 5: Oliver and Company). What do you all think

Believe it or not, I actually have most of Dreamworks/Don Bluth's filmography planned out. The only thing I need to think about is Pixar.

Oh yes, and I was wondering whether I should do chapters yearly (i.e Chapter 5: 1988, Chapter 7: 1990 etc) or go by each film (i.e Chapter 5: Oliver and Company). What do you all think
Go by year.

And have Pixar go with WB.

I'd suggest Spielberg to potentially team up with Pixar after his fallout with don bluth. Pixar kinda sorta taking the place of amblimation

And do the updates by year

Last edited:
I'd suggest Spielberg to potentially team up with Pixar after his fallout with don bluth. Pixar kinda sorta taking the place of amblimation
Currently I still want Spielberg to join Katzenberg at Dreamworks so perhaps Pixar will not be taking Amblimation's place, it's likely Amblimation might not exist at all.

It's too early to say whether WB would be distributing Pixar's films or not, as I actually have stuff planned for WB. We'll see what happens to both

MGM, Columbia? Those are the ones have zero animation studios and could gamble with Pixar
Like I said, still a while until we reach Pixar (at least according to my current progress on this TL) and I haven't decided yet. Either somebody distributes Pixar and possibly outright purchases them like Disney IOTL, or they somehow become an independent studio.

I’ll say do it by year.